Ran out of daylight to get a decent photo, but at least I managed to get primer and a couple of coats of paint onto it.
I remembered that I had most of a can of "oil rubbed bronze" type metallic paint from my theremin speaker stand which should look pretty cool, I think one more coat should do it. Going to try using plain old minwax polycrylic as a gloss clear coat. I have the notion it will be less fussy than the nitrocellulose lacquer I've been fighting with on the #telecasterkit project.
Definitely going to try using grain filler on the next one.
Correction, I'd forgotten that I wound up with regular Minwax polyurethane, not polycrylic.
My intention is to wet-sand the finish, which requires waiting for a full cure, which means waiting...
:squints at data sheet:
...at least 30 days after the final coat. 😒
Assuming I can get a neck made before then, I'll almost certainly wind up assembling this thing sooner than that, but that's OK. Any finish dings will happen where stuff will be covering them up anyway #cbg
I managed to get five or six coats of spray polyurethane on this thing today; looks like brush marks but I think those are actually sanding marks that have been highlighted by multiple layers.
Dubious I’ll be able to sand this enough to get a smooth look (without sanding all the way through to the color layer) - definitely grain filler next time. #cbg
It's technically past the 24-hour "dry time" window and the finish has lost the ever-so-slightly-rubbery feel it had last evening, but it's still pretty smelly so I'm not going to bring it in and tinker with electronics just yet. (not that it would do me any good without neck/bridge/strings anyway.)
But, I did remember to get a photo of the highly sophisticated bracing I added #cbg
Probably going to splurge on that CB Gitty scarf joint miter box because I don’t have a table saw, and it’s relatively cheap (and the one I tried to make myself is not square, lol.) But with a little filler and sanding this should be close enough.
This test fret was about 100x easier to install than any of the ones I did 15 years ago, and that’s definitely thanks to having the right tools (my wife got me the CB gitty fretting kit for my birthday. #cbg
My obsessive nerd inclination is to do some CAD to determine the optimal neck angle per bridge placement and location. I used my ancient, offline copy of adobe Illustrator for basic geometry stuff like this for years and years, but it finally stopped working a couple of OS versions ago and I am not going to let adobe bleed me to death for the rest of my life... but I haven't really learned inkscape or (god forbid) an actual CAD package in the meantime, so that would be a whole yak-shaving expedition that's probably a bit of a moot point anyway because it's not like I have any kind of precision finer than "half a degree-ish" on my saw. 🤷♂️
My napkin calculations suggest about 6 degrees, which seems like a lot, but the body *and* neck are smaller than most instruments I'm used to, and math is math.
Worst case I can shim the heel one way or the other. #cbg
Things I need to do this morning:
* Close that other browser tab with search results for "shaving horse plans"
Me, all day long, but instead of Krusty's Clown College it's working some more on that neck.
I have work deadline BS I need to make more progress on tonight but I'm gonna take some time right now, dammit
Not sure if spokeshave difficulties are due to dull blade and inexperience, or spokeshave being a cheap piece of junk. Probably a little of both. (I bought it from Grizzly Industrial and wouldn't have spent more then twenty bucks in 2006 dollars on it)
My sharpening stones are a mess, seeing if I can clean/recondition them is a whole other yak shaving expedition I could go on.
Meanwhile, a cheap rasp worked pretty well to rough out the neck. I got it halfway cleaned up starting with 80 grit sandpaper before the mosquitoes chased me inside... there are still some pretty deep gouges but hopefully sanding will go quickly when I'm not being eaten alive.
Realized a major #footgun: Because my box lid is like 5/8" tall and the neck is only about 1 1/2" deep, my plan to attach the neck with two lag bolts is not going to work.
But, hopefully I can salvage it by putting a notch in the approprate place in the box lid. (I don't think I described the issue very well, but it will be apparent when I photograph that step. #cbg
@mayor I used to watch a lot of Paul Sellers videos and he uses a spokeshave on every. single. project.
@zpojqwfejwfhiunz I bought this a million years ago (the last time I was trying to get into making instruments) but because of life upheaval I don't think I ever actually used it beyond a couple of test draws. Shout out to my former self for keeping it in its box, it's pristine
@mayor good luck with your instrument!
@mayor looking good!
@mayor I had similar issues with my one attempt at a old spokeshave I picked up from a thrift store and sharpened. I now just use a course rasp for most of it, then smoother rasps to sand paper as I get to the end.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!